Located in the Cat Ba World Biosphere Reserve, Cat Ba National Park with a diverse forest system and limestone mountains shadowing down to the blue beach, is a charming tourist destination that attracts many visitors. Visiting Cat Ba National Park, tourists will be immersed in the wilderness to explore the forest and sea ecological tourism routes. Guests also do not miss the opportunity to visit and explore the forests of Kim Giao and Ngu Lam mount to admire the rare precious kim giao forest and limestone mountains in different shapes standing in the middle of majestic sky.
• Tourists should prepare food and drink for use during the climb.
• When visiting the Kim Giao forest, visitors go sneakers, low – heeled shoes for safe and proactiveness.
• Time to explore Kim Giao forest about 4 hours.
• When climbing, do not smoke or fire in the forest.
• Send the motorbike in front of the entrance for a fee of 5,000 VND/car.
• National park ticket price is 40,000 VND/person including 3 main attractions are Kim Giao Forest, Ngu Lam Mount, Trung Trang cave
1. Introduction to Kim Giao Forest
Kim Giao forest in Cat Ba National Park is located in the biosphere reserve of Cat Ba archipelago. This is a primitive forest preserving the specie of Kim Giao and many rare animals. The forest have a peaceful and romantic landscape that is an ideal base for visitors to feel the value of life and the relaxation.
Kim Giao is a precious wood with hard leaves, flowering in April and May, fruiting in June, July. Kim Giao trees not only embellish the beauty of the forest, but also the popular topic for tourists exploring.
2. Means of transportation to Kim Giao Forest
Visitors have three choices to reach Kim Giao forest:
- Direction from Hai Phong: Taking a speedboat from Ben Binh to Cat Ba National Park takes about 45 minutes with a ticket price of 200,000 VND per person, then walk into Kim Giao forest and Ngu Lam mount. Or you can catch cars from Hai Phong, through Dinh Vu island, Cat Hai island and Cat Ba national park for 100.000 VND/person. From Cat Ba garden, visitors buy tickets and walk to Kim Giao forest.
- Direction from Hanoi to Cat Ba by coach takes about 5 hours. Currently, Hoang Long car company is selling package tickets for travelers from Hanoi to Cat Ba at the Luong Yen coach station for about 200,000 VND/person.
- Direction from Halong: Guests can hire boats to visit Halong Bay then to Gia Luan port and then take bus to Cat Ba Town for 20.000 VND/person.
If you want to take private car to Cat Ba island, you can go to Tuan Chau ferry to go to Gia Luan, then drive straight to Cat Ba town.
3. Discover Kim Giao Forest
Trekking from Cat Ba National Park to Kim Giao Forest takes about 15-20 minutes. The first 500m from the foot of the garden to the mountain is quite flat and easy to walk. While walking, tourists visit the botanical garden with plants representing more than 1,500 species of plants in Cat Ba National Park, visit the happy garden by the leaders and their wife planted, wash hands next to the well that is cool around the year.
Starting from the foot of the mountain, visitors will begin conquering hard to reach Kim Giao forest and Ngu Lam mount. Guests will have to climb the 500m long section of rugged limestone staircases.
It takes about 3 to 4 hours to walk 3km to Kim Giao forest. Many visitors choose to explore the forest of Kim Giao because they will conquer the jagged cat-ear rocks, immerse in the natural scenery of wild mountains that is hard to find in any place on this planet. On the journey of exploring Kim Giao forest, visitors will rest in the shade of green foliage, listen to the sound of the wind and “summer choir” of cicadas, enjoy listening the guides introducing the fairy tales about Kim Giao with the love and loyalty of the boy, Kim and the girl, Giao.
After the rest time, visitors continue the journey to conquer Ngu Lam peak in th height 210m above sea level. The higher the climb, the more difficult the road with steep stairs, the narrow and slippery roads, just enough for each one to walk through. After nearly 2 hours of walking, climbing, tourists come to Ngu Lam. At this place, visitors are able to enjoy the view of Cat Ba from above. Falling into your eyes is the paintings of the nature stretching between mountains and forests.
Along with the discovery of Kim Giao Forest, Ngu Lam Peak, visitors also contemplate the beauty of Trung Trang cave system about 1km from the center of Cat Ba National Park. The caves here are splendidly beautiful with magical stalactites in many strange shapes such as sleeping girl, fierce sea snake, sea lion, fisherman.
Kim Giao forest with wild beauty and many flora and fauna brings tourists to a world of peace and interesting experiences for those who love adventure tourism to admire the full beauty of the mountains and forests. Certainly this will be an unforgettable experience in life of many tourists when visiting Cat Ba National Park.
For more information about things to do in Halong, please visit our website.