Referring to Quang Ninh province, people always think of Halong Bay right away with thousands of rocky islands undulating on the sparkling waters and spectacular caves. However, this tourism land has many attractions that attract thousands of tourists each year.
The name Halong Bay means the bay where the dragon landed. The story is that, when the Vietnamese newly established country, in a time when Vietnam was invaded by foreign invaders, heaven gods sent dragon mother carrying a herd of dragons to help the Vietnamese fight the enemy.
When the enemy ships from the sea rushed to the shore, the dragons also landed. The dragons immediately spewed out a myriad of jewels, the jewels turned into a multitude of rocky islands, linking together as a solid wall, suddenly blocking the advance of the enemy. The attacking enemy boats are suddenly stopped in the rocks, hit each other and broke up.
After the fight, the mother dragon and the baby dragon did not return to heaven, but remained in the earth where the fighting took place. The mother dragon down is called Halong, where the baby dragon is named Bai Tu Long. The tail of the dragon flock up white is Long Vi (today Tra Co archipelago).
From above, Halong Bay is as an extremely lively giant watercolor painting. Thousands of rock islands bounce on the waves of sparkling water as a fanciful and majestic but also very graceful, lively picture.
These magical stones change over time and view. Hidden in the rocks are beautiful caves like Thien Cung, Dau Go, Sung Sot, Trinh Nu, Tam Cung …
Halong Bay covers an area of 1,553 km2 with 1969 small and large islands, of which the UNESCO World Heritage Site covers 434 km2 of 788 islands with special cultural, aesthetic, geological, biological and economic value. In the bay there are many islands, caves, beaches, beautiful scenery that are favorable for development of many points, many forms of tourist attractions.
Bai Chay is a large and beautiful artificial beach located close to the shore of Halong Bay. Sandy beach is more than 500 m long and 100 m wide. Every day in the early morning or evening of summer, thousands of people come down here bathing, the beach becomes incredible bustle.
The name Bai Chay has many different myths. According to legend, Bai Chay is the place where the troop of Nguyen Mong headed by Truong Van Ho to invade Vietnam was burned and washed ashore by Tran Khanh Du and the Tran people.
As many of the enemy ships were burnt, the north-easterly wind blew fire on the west bank of the Cua Luc and burned the forest. The forest burned turned into Bai Chay today.
A folk legend says that ships often anchored on the west coast of Cua Luc. At the bottom and the side of the boats, there were clams that could erode the boats, so the fishermen had to collect the casuarina leaves to burn around. From the side of Hon Gai and other places to look at, people always saw the fire burning so they called that place Bai Chay.
Yen Tu Mountain
Yen Tu is a high mountain in the Dong Trieu Mountains in northeastern Vietnam. The mountain is located in Thuong Yen Cong Commune, Uong Bi City, Quang Ninh Province. Yen Tu is a natural landscape that still preserves many historic sites with the name “land of Buddhism in Vietnam”.
At the top of the mountain is often covered with clouds, so the day before it was called Bach Van Mountain (White Cloud). Total length of road to the summit of Yen Tu (Dong Pagoda) is about 6000 m with 6 hours of continuous walk through thousands of stone steps and forest roads.
Journey to Yen Tu today will not be as hard anymore as the past because the cable car system 1 near Hoa Yen was completed in 2002 and the cable car system 2 to the sky gate (Yen Tu area) has been put into use from the 2008 festive season.
Yen Tu became the center of Buddhism since King Tran Nhan Tong abandoned his throne in a monk’s robe and established a unique Buddhist Zen in Vietnam. That is Zen Truc Lam Yen Tu. He became the first one with the name of Dieu Ngu Giac Hoang Tran Nhan Tong 1258-1308.
He has built hundreds of large and small works on Yen Tu Mountain as a place for spiritual practice and propagation. After his death, his successor was Phap Loa Dong Kien Cuong (1284-1330), the second master of Truc Lam.
During 19 years of practice, he has prepared a series of book “Thach that mi ngu”, and built 800 monuments, large and small towers in the country with thousands of valuable statues, including the famous pagodas such as Quynh Lam Pagoda, Ho Thien pagoda in Dong Trieu …
(to be continued)
For more information about attractions, please visit our website.